Monday 11 August 2014

Barnes in Beijing (again)

Bullet train station
Beer museum

 Monday morning rolled round and we had a 07:30 flight to Beijing. Amazingly we got a phone call at 4:40 from a very grumpy Chinese taxi driver telling us he was running late. Not a nice wake up call! Anyway we were at the airport with plenty of time so it wasn't a complete disaster.
Two famous faces on a bottle of beer
 We stayed in the Sanlitun hostel again and I had splashed out and booked us a twin room. Luxury for hostel living!

Only for the one night though, as we went straight to Qingdao for a mini trip to the coast and to visit Sam. I love the bullet train and was feeling a little guilty at not getting Tom a train journey somewhere, so we hopped on the bullet to the coast.

Qingdao is one of the places I am considering to moving to after I finish in Kunming. I loved the place after my first visit so thought a repeat might be useful for finding out if I really like it there.

I do!

We only had the on night and two half days in the city but we managed to visit Sam, wander the pier and beaches and get to the beer factory museum. A fairly hectic and fast paced visit but the highlights were all checked out.

The hostel was on a little pedestrian street with a food alley way behind it. The seafood available here is among some of the best in China; or so I have heard. Other than the seafood, I am still convinced that the food in the Northern parts of China is much better than that in Yunnan. So naturally I gorged myself on street food and snacks every time we walked past some.


Southampton 8800km
We met Sam on the Monday evening, and it seems no matter how many times we see each other or talk, it is still strange seeing someone from home in China. We met him for a drink in an Irish bar and a  quick walk about the harbour. It was a beautiful night so sitting on the waters edge was just what the doctor ordered, a nice chilled evening after the recent chaos of Kunming and school.

Tuesday brought an epic trip to Marks and Spencers, the map was a little misleading as it was about a 30 minute drive. Anyway, I left Tom with a drink in Burger King and treated myself to loads of new (and not glittery/pink) clothes.

An afternoon train back to Beijing and we could begin our Beijing sightseeing adventure.









No comments:

Post a Comment